Another day, another video, after all it is #Vlogtober over on YouTube and I’m enjoying the challenge!
Yesterday I filmed a video showing EVERY SINGLE THING I ate in a day on my “Living on a 1940s Ration Book Diet” year. I worked out that I roughly eat between 1500-2000 calories per day and I feel full enough to not binge or overeat and to date I have lost around 65 lbs this year so I’m feeling a LOT healthier. My goal is to keep on going, keep on eating the “Ration Book Way” until I am in a relatively healthy weight range. I estimate that I will likely need to lose another 65 lbs which will take me down to about 170 lbs (12 stone ish). I anticipate this will take me about another year.
I made a delicious “Potato and Cheese Flan” for dinner yesterday (enjoy the cook-a-long video above!) and it was really simple to make. Yesterday I had been craving pastry so this meal really hit-the-spot. Today I couldn’t resist a cold slice for breakfast and another slice for lunch too! My eldest daughter had the remaining slice.
Here is the recipe from the “Eating for Victory” cook book
Potato and Cheese Flan
- 6-8 oz shortcrust pastry ( 6 oz plain flour, 2-3 oz of margarine, salt, cold water to bind)
- 8 oz cooked, cubed potato
- 3 oz grated cheese
- 3 tablespoons of grated or chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons of grated or chopped onion
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- White sauce (1/2 oz flour, 1/4 pint milk)
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry and press into a medium flan dish (I used a 7 inch sponge tin)
- Place in over (200 C) for 10 minutes while preparing the ingredients
- Mix the cooked potato, celery, onion, cheese, salt and pepper, together and place in the pastry lined flan dish.
- Pour on the thick white sauce and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Cook in over at 200 C for around 30-45 mins until pastry is cooked.
Serves 4 at around 400 calories per slice
Hope you enjoy it, I loved it! PS: I also added some dried herbs to the mixture.