Another wartime 1940s Christmas recipe revisited! This time it’s Mock Marzipan and you can cook-a-long with me, step-by-step on my latest video on YouTube.
This “Mock Marzipan” never fails to come out well and while not quite the same as real marzipan, it does a really good job when rations are low and it’s impossible to find some in your local shop! It’s such an easy recipe too as you’ll see in my video!
- 4 oz soya flour
- 4 oz sugar
- 2 oz margarine
- several drops of almond essence (I used more!)
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Melt margarine in the water
- Add essence and sugar and stir
- Add flour and mix in bit by bit and then turn out onto a floured board and knead well
- Roll out and cut to shape of top of cake using the tin to use knife to cut around
- Smear top of cake with jam of your choice
- Cover with marzipan
- Cake can then be iced
Makes enough to cover a medium sized Christmas cake!
Much love, C xxxx