I hope you are having a wonderful Coronation Day and enjoying some feasting! I had two large scones for my lunch which I made from a WW2 recipe and the rations I had and thoroughly enjoyed these. They were delicious!
Coronation Day Fruit Scones
- 16 oz of self-raising flour (or plain flour and 2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder)
- 2-4 oz butter or margarine (I used 3 oz of vegan butter)
- 2 oz sugar
- 1/4 pint of milk (I used oat milk)
- 2-3 oz of sultanas or dried mixed fruit
- pinch of salt
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (or add the sugar after sieving)
- Add small lumps of the butter/margarine and rub in with fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the milk and mix until a stiff dough is achieved
- Roll out to 1 inch thick and use cutters (I used 3.5 inch cutters which made 8 scones)
- Wash with milk or egg
- Cook in over at 180C for 20-30 mins until cooked.
- Allow to cool before serving