Apart from being a bit crumbly, the vinegar cake was quite delicious! It was lovely with warm custard!
The vinegar cake was one of the recipes I re-created for the photo-shoot that took place last Sunday but I had forgotten to take a photo until I saw Sue’s comment and request today so quickly took a photo of the few slices I had left to add it to the wartime recipe archives.
And YES the vinegar cake really does have vinegar in it!
- 6 oz self-raising flour
- 3 oz margarine
- 3 oz sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 pint milk
- 4 oz dried mixed fruit
- Cream the margarine and sugar
- Sift the flour
- Pour milk into a basin and add the vinegar and bicarb of soda and the mixture will froth a bit
- Add this mixture and the sifted flour a bit at a time into the sugar/margarine mixture until all blended then add the dried fruit
- Pour into a greased and floured 1lb loaf tin and cook for about 45 minutes at 180C until golden brown all over.