These were quite tasty and filling, a bit like a heavy pancake. Use a strong cheddar as it really gives a nice cheesy flavour when the outside is cooked until crisp and golden.
4 tablespoons medium or coarse oatmeal (works with porridge oats too)
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons of grated cheese
2 teaspoons of baking powder
Salt and pepper
A little water to mix
Fat for frying
– Mix all dry ingredients together except the baking powder.
– Add enough cold water to mix to a stiff batter.
– Just before using add the baking powder.
– Melt a little fat in a frying pan and when smoking hot drop spoonfuls of the mixture into hot fat.
– Fry till golden on both sides.