These were quite tasty and filling, a bit like a heavy pancake. Use a strong cheddar as it really gives a nice cheesy flavour when the outside is cooked until crisp and golden.
4 tablespoons medium or coarse oatmeal (works with porridge oats too)
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons of grated cheese
2 teaspoons of baking powder
Salt and pepper
A little water to mix
Fat for frying
– Mix all dry ingredients together except the baking powder.
– Add enough cold water to mix to a stiff batter.
– Just before using add the baking powder.
– Melt a little fat in a frying pan and when smoking hot drop spoonfuls of the mixture into hot fat.
– Fry till golden on both sides.
These look yummy, I think the kids will love them too, thank you.
I really like this idea, I bet they would be delicious was bacon 🙂
These sound yummy. I am going to try them this week.
I made these tonight and was very impressed………….actually went OOOH! with the first bite. Surprisingly tasty. I used rough cut porage oats and put a bit of made mustard and some chopped parsley in the mix and it held together well. I thought they looked a bit small at first but alongside leeks and mushrooms and some cabbage it was an ample meal.Thanks for the recipe! Recommend it.
Made these tonight used nutritional yeast instead of cheese and baked in the oven. Used gluten free flour as well for my son
Fingers crossed they like them tomorrow !!!