Tonight I am well stuffed (in the culinary sense)… I baked a wartime ‘cottage pie’ and fear that an actual cottage could have been the main ingredient as I am so full! This was one-hell-of-a-satisfying-meal on a cold winter night! I must make this more often…
One of the most satisfying things about the meal was the comments that flew my way as it was being gobbled down
Youngest hobbit…” Yum- this tastes good! There is no bits of starch in it like last time…”
Eldest hobbit …. ” Jeremy (boyfriend) wants to hire you as a cook”..
Eldest hobbits boyfriend.… ” Every meal I have tasted here has tasted so good..”
Middle hobbit …” Ewww- what’s that????” (this is not surprising as he is a vegetarian who doesn’t like vegetables)
Eldest hobbit….(who is also vegetarian but who I prepared a separate topping for)… ” ………just silence….” (trust me this is good!)
Try this fabby, tasty, tummy filling, stick to your ribs meal- it is worth the effort!
- 1 lb mince beef ( note a weeks ration of mince beef for one person was about 1/2 lb )
- several large potatoes
- 2 oz cheese
- dried herbs (Rosemary & Thyme work well)
- salt and pepper
- beef stock like bovril ( 1 pint or more)
- bisto gravy powder
- peas and finely chopped carrots and onion optional
- blob butter or margarine
- Brown the mince
- Add the chopped veggies (optional)
- Add salt and pepper and herbs
- Add beef stock, stir and simmer for 15 minutes (thickening towards the end by mixing bisto powder with a little cold water to a runny paste and adding to beef stirring all the time- beef sauce should be quite thick!)
- Meanwhile chop up all the potatoes into small chunks
- Place in salted hot water and bring to the boil until tender and drain.
- Mash with generous blobs of butter or margarine, add salt and pepper to taste
- Finally add milk so mash is spreadable
- Place beef sauce in a small cooking tray with deep sides or shallow casserole dish
- Pipe or spread mashed potato on top
- Sprinkle with 2 oz of grated strong cheddar and some dried herbs if you like
- Place in oven for 20 minutes at 200 c
- Finish off under broiler/grill to brown top
Serve with steamed fresh veggies!
Serves 4 with veggies