Ignore the fact that my squished up vegan sausage used in this recipe with the addition of my lovely yellowy cheese sauce, makes this look like a dessert dish served with custard… it’s not. Infact it was a most awesome and delicious “Mock Duck” recipe that I would highly recommend you try. It was simply delicious!
When you use “real” sausage for your recipe, aesthetically, it will be more pleasing. Vegan sausage has very little fat in it, real sausage will be fattier and squishier and you will be able to form into a smooth duck breast shape..
This would be most excellent served with small buttered new potatoes and some lightly steamed asparagus and some cranberry sauce!
- 1 lb sausagemeat
- 8 oz of onions grated
- 8 oz tart apples peeled and grated
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh sage or 1/2-1 teaspoon dried sage (I used two of fresh as I love sage)
- Spread half the sausagemeat into a flat layer in a well greased baking tin or dish (I used some foil to shape into a duck breast shape)
- Top with a layer of the grated apples, onion and sage
- Add the rest of the sausagemeat and try and form into a duck breast shape
- Cover with well greased paper or foil and bake in the centre of a moderately hot oven for 40 minutes or until the sauasagemeat is cooked.