This was such a simple and delicious recipe, especially so as I LOVE swede! (other names include: Yellow turnip, Swedish turnip, Russian turnip or Rutabaga). From the recipe I was able to make 6 swede cakes and I ate 3 of them with a plateful of soya mince stew that had various vegetables included too. The plateful cost me around 90p for the ingredients.
- 1 lb of swede cooked and mashed
- 2 oz of plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper optional
- Some margarine for frying
- Cube and cook the swede until tender. Mash, you can add a little margarine into the mash if you have enough free from your weekly ration!
- Mix in the flour, salt and pepper thoroughly.
- Place some margarine into the frying pan and once hot add three dollops of the swede mix and form into patties. Brown both sides. repeat the process again to cook the rest.
Should make 6 generous size swede cakes!