Here is a nice tasty wartime flapjack recipe which I’ve made twice in the last two weeks as I had lots of oats to use up and some hard margarine. I divided the mixture up and added a handful of mixed dried fruit into the second half. You could anything you wanted like some chopped nuts or shredded coconut.
Flapjack (makes 8 large or 12 regular slices)
- 250g Porridge Oats
- 100g Butter (or hard margarine)
- 100g Light Brown Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsps Golden Syrup (or any thick table syrup)
- Put the butter or margarine and the golden syrup into a saucepan and melt gently. When the mixture becomes liquid mix in the sugar and stir.
- Remove from heat and add in the oats. (and any additional ingredients you want to add like dried fruit or coconut).
- Grease an appropriate size container and press in the flapjack mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 160-180 C for 20-30 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside. Cut into slices while still warm. Leave to cool completely before removing from tin.
Cost = 80p in ingredients.