Thank you to Paul and Wendy Savage who used this recipe successfully at their WWII themed New Year’s Party and were kind enough to share it with me. I used 1/3 rd of the ingredients below using some left over mash and that made several potato cakes which I pan fried. They were DELICIOUS!! I loved my lunch today!!
- 3 smallish onions, chopped finely
- 7oz margarine – or vegan substitute.
- 3lbs cooked and mashed potato
- 1lb self raising flour (or plain flour with 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder added)
- salt & pepper to season (herbs can be added too)
- Fry onion in 1/2 oz margarine until soft
- Mash potato with remaining margarine and beat together with the onion & flour. Season to taste.
- Knead onto a floured surface (it should be similar consistancy to bread dough)
- Form into 3-4 inch sausage. Cut into 1 inch slices (make them thicker if baking in the oven)
- Cook in oven at 200 c or gas mark 6 for 15-20 minutes (until golden brown) or alternatively pan fry.