This is so simple, this is so tart yet sweet (depending on the flavour jam) and cooking it long enough to evaporate some of the water off, ensures a concentrated flavour. I used apricot jam with my recipe and it was a perfect sauce to serve with Brown Betty..
You can use any flavour jam depending on what pudding or pie you have!
- 4 tablespoons of jam
- 6 – 8 tablespoons of water (or fruit juice)
- 1 dessertspoon of cornstarch
- Place the jam in a pan and slowly mix in the water
- Turn on the heat to about 3/4’s and gently heat up the water and jam, stirring, until as much of the jam as you can has dissolved. Add more water if the mixture is too thick…
- Once melted and heated, pour through a sieve and then return the strained liquid to the pan, back on the heat
- Turn it down to 1/2
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a thin paste
- Slowly mix in to jam/water and stir all the time until the mixture has thickened
- Turn it down to 1/4, continue stirring and reduce the liquid a little until the desired consistency
- Use to drizzle over a dessert or serve on the plate alongside