I saw a video pop-up on Facebook today of a lady with a carrot. She made vegan bacon from it. YES REALLY!
I’m always curious when people do strange things with vegetables so immediately went to see if I had any of the ingredients to make my own. I didn’t really so not to be defeated I used ingredients from my pantry that I thought would work and they did so I had to share!
FIRST, if you want to use the exact spices I used (smokey bacon powder and hickory smoke powder), you can get them via my 1940s Experiment recommended list on Amazon. CLICK HERE.
The ‘carrot bacon’ is really easy to make and one large carrot makes a whole pack of vegan bacon! I cooked mine in the oven at around 170C for 20-30 minutes turning once about 15 minutes in. The ends crisped up in the oven and at that stage I removed them, placed them on some kitchen paper on top of a wire rack and left them to cool for about 15 minutes and they crisped up some more. I think I was lucky to get it right the first time so it might involve some trial and error to get it how you want it. Although I cooked it in a conventional oven an air fryer would work I’m sure!
These strips of vegan smokey bacon would be wonderful in a bun with a homemade vegan burger, vegan mayo, salad, pickles and onion! Alas I didn’t have a burger BUT I did have some avocado and salad and lot’s of Hellman’s Vegan Mayo and the carrot bacon topped it off perfectly!
Afterwards I, of course, nibbled on all the rest until they were gone. I WILL be making these again!
Assuming you already have the ingredients in your pantry, the vegan bacon, not including the cost of electric, is about 1p per slice.
Stay calm, stay safe, stay home,
PS: I’ve had a very busy week in the garden trying to dig beds before the ground gets too hard. I am now back working on the ‘Pandemic Pantry’ FREE community cookbook and I hope to have this online and ready to download this weekend. THANK YOU for all the e-mails and submissions. They are much appreciated.
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon smokey bacon powder
- 1 teaspoon of hickory smoke powder (or smoked paprika or liquid smoke)
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder (or onion granules or onion salt)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (any)
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or golden syrup, any type of mild sweet syrup.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Sprinkle of garlic powder or garlic salt.
- Peel the carrot
- Using the julienne peeler press down firmly and slowly along the shaft of the carrot from thick to thin end to create a long bacon shaped slice
- Place slices in a dish
- Next mix all the other ingredients above to make a marinade (mix all ingredients adding water in last)
- Pour over the carrot slices in the dish and mix so all slices are coated.
- Heat oven to 170 C, leave carrot slices to marinade while oven heats up.
- When oven has reached the correct temperature place the carrot slices onto baking paper on a large baking sheet.
- Place in middle of oven for 20-30 minutes (turning over half-way through) until browning and the ends look crispy
- Remove and place on kitchen roll on a wire rack. The vegan bacon should crisp up further after about 15 minutes.