These are so easy to make and frugal too. No harsh chemicals, easy to store and keep dry in glass, natural fragrance from essential oils and are great for cleaning the toilet! You simply drop one or two in, put the lid down, leave to fizz, give a quick scrub with a brush and it’s done!
- 1 1/4 cup sodium bicarbonate
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- Small amount of water (maybe 50 mls or so) in a spray bottle to which you add the essential oils (about 30 drops)
- Silicone mould
- Bowl, spoon, fork or masher
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and stir together.
- Spritz lightly (2 or 3 times) with the spray bottle with water and essential oils in.
- Mix with fork or masher and keep repeating until the mixture slightly begins to clump together. (if you add too much water then the mixture will start to froth which means its too wet)
- Press into silicone molds.
- Leave to dry overnight.
- Remove the next day and store in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid until ready to use.
The essential oils eliminate odours naturally. I like to use lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, rosemary, tea tree and peppermint! A mixture of two oils I find smells best!