A blog reader, Cynthia, had kindly sent me a book called “Wartime Recipes from the Maritimes”. And this recipe is from this great little recipe book. I’d like to start to include some international wartime recipes this year in my blog..
This was delicious! I just ate this for my lunch and it was quick and nutritious and has provided me with most of my fibre for the day as well as filled my tummy.
I will definitely make this again, often!
- 1 lb young turnips (or Swedes)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan alternative)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup stock
- Pre-heat oven to medium-hot
- Dice turnips into 1 inch chunks and cook in salted water for 10 minutes
- Drain well then saute in hot butter for a few minutes
- Sprinkle the sugar and flour over and continue to fry until browning
- Place into ovenproof dish and add 1/2 cup of stock
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes until further browned
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving