This was quite nice, not one of my favourites (the bread puddings are my very favourites) but nevertheless tasty and filling with a little custard over the top… good old Birds Eye custard!
- 1 lb of apples
- 3 oz sugar
- 6 oz of self-raising flour (or plain flour with 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder added)
- pinch salt
- 1 level teaspoon of mixed spice (I’ve used cinnamon and a little nutmeg before)
- 1/2 oz margarine
- 1.5 teacups of milk and water
- 1/2 oz sugar
- 0.5 teaspoons of lemon essence
- Sift the flour, salt and spice, rub in the 1/2 oz of margarine and then mix in the 1/2 oz of sugar.
- Beat in half the liquid gradually
- Beat thoroughly then add the rest of the liquid and lemon essence and beat again
- Peel the apples and cut into small pieces and mix with 2.5 oz of sugar
- Put in a greased casserole and pour the batter over (I used meatloaf pans)
- Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar and serve hot with custard or jam sauce
Did you only use the given ingredients once (to get both) or twice (repeated the process)?
how any servings did it make?
it serves 6, nice recipe aswell
I made this today and it came out as 8 serves. I used 800g (almost 2 lbs) of cooked apple, and the top came out almost like an old fashioned pie crust. In fact, it tasted like apple pie:)
I’m late to this party, but how much liquid is in a teacup?