This is so very delicious…
My mouth watered during and after cooking this dish from yesteryear (after because I kept half by in the fridge and had to go back and scoop a large spoonful out to shove in my mouth before I exploded)
Bubble and Squeak was typically a dish used to use up leftovers. There is no right way to cook it except that it has to have mash potato in it (it holds together all the leftover veggies) and you fry it in a pan until it just starts to brown on the edges..
Cabbage seems to be a popular ingredient for bubble and squeak as does a little onion too and leftover meat such as diced sausages or bacon. (I’m a vegan so when making recipes like this I use a sausage or bacon alternative as part of my rations) The “squeak” gets it’s name from the squeaking sounds emitted as the mash and vegetables are pushed down with a spatula to brown in the hot frying pan.
Here is how I made mine. (PS- I have now returned to the fridge and am eating the remaining portion as I type)
Bubble and Squeak
- Mashed potatoes
- Left over boiled cabbage, carrots, parsnips, sausages or vegan alternative (chopped)
- Mushrooms and onion (chopped)
- Put a large knob of margarine (dairy free margarine for vegans) in a frying pan and heat until it bubbles
- Drop in the onion and mushroom and saute for a few minutes
- Add the leftover chopped veg and meat and mix for a minute or so
- Drop in the mashed potatoes and mix with veggie mixture already in pan
- Press down the mixture with a spatula to brown and heat through
- Turn over and keep heating through and until the edges brown