I love Sunday mornings. I may live in a town but Sunday mornings seem quite peaceful. Christchurch bells are ringing and my garden backs on to the bushes surrounding the perimeter of Queens Park. Being a person who prefers rural life and solitude, not being boxed in by other houses at the bottom of my garden, really helps. I’m grateful.
I’m reflecting on the week past, my first week back to rationing. It wasn’t without it’s challenges.
- I found that weekdays, while doing my full-time job, food wise I’ve mostly had to reply on quick and easy to prepare lunches and dinners, so lots of lentil and vegetable stews, sandwiches, fried veggies on toast, mashed potato etc.
- I had an episode of severe vertigo, spent 1 day in bed and the next day working from home. The first day it was even difficult walking to the bathroom!
- I had to use my car to drive to work as I’m struggling with back pain carrying the extra weight
The positives of this week were:
- I enjoyed the stews and sandwiches and getting back to simple food and I’ve been baking this weekend too. I’m enjoying getting back to living on WW2 rations and spending less!
- I had an appointment with the nurse at my GP’s surgery. She took my weight and blood pressure and measurements, we had a lovely chat and I’m returning on February 10th to have some blood tests such as cholesterol and we’ll redo these later on in the year again to measure the improvement. I’ll be popping in every month for support and assistance.
- Other people are doing this rationing challenge too. I’m grateful for our Facebook group and for all the comments and support left on here and on my YouTube channel too! Most humans are decent, lovely people. Thank you xxxx
- At the end of the first week I’m feeling brighter already. What a difference a week makes.
So what have I eaten this week?
Breakfasts: Mostly porridge but I did have toast on two mornings
Lunch: Oslo Meals but also fried veggies on toast, beans on toast and some salads
Others: Cox’s Apples.
So what have I spent on food this week?
It’s probably easier for me to post my shopping list below. I haven’t had to buy anything else in addition so in answer to the question, I have spent considerably less! In fact, my weekly grocery bill before was 3 times as much!
Much love, C xxxx