Apologies.. I’ve been a bit quiet. Not feeling the best right now with chills, aches and pains, nausea and a rotten old cough! My poor daughter had it first. I don’t often get a cold so complaining more about it than the average person! On the good side I’ve been pretty much saving all my sugar and fat ration as just haven’t felt up to baking extras. This is good really as I used all my rations right up for the two weeks proceeding this having baked quite a few cakes!
So here is a recipe for one of the cakes I baked about 10 days ago. It was delicious and I sandwiched it together with a wartime recipe for chocolate spread.
Chocolate Layer Cake
- 3 oz fat (margarine)
- 1 tablespoon of golden syrup or treacle
- 8 oz plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 oz of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 oz sugar
- 1/2 pint of warm water
- Put fat and syrup into a pan and dissolve
- Mix all dry ingredients in a basin and stir in melted fat and syrup, mix to a very soft consistency with warm water.
- Pour into two greased sandwich tins and bake for 30 minutes in a medium oven. (about 180 C)
- Remove and allow to partly cool in tin before turning out.
- When cool sandwich them with mock whipped cream or chocolate spread.
- 1 oz cocoa powder
- 1.5 tablespoons of fine sugar
- 1 dessertspoon of flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add milk gradually and bring to the boil
- Beat until quite smooth
- Use when cooled