These are excellent biscuits/cookies for children. As cookies go they are low in fat, relatively low in sugar and have lots of rolled oats in them. My grown up kids all enjoyed them, and the dog… and as I share this recipe with you, I’m enjoying my second one and thinking I should wrap them up and stick them in the freezer before I eat the 25 that are left.
I like recipes that are easy peasy, quick and tasty and utilize ingredients most of us would find in our kitchen cupboards at anytime. This one fulfills that criteria..
Chocolate Oat Cakes
- 2 oz (56g) margarine
- 2 oz (56g) sugar
- 8 oz (225g) self-raising flour (if using plain add 2 teaspoons of baking powder)
- 1 breakfast cup (95g) of rolled oats
- pinch salt
- 1.5 oz (42g) of cocoa powder
- milk and water
- Rub the margarine into the flour
- Add the rolled oats, sugar, pinch of salt and cocoa powder
- Mix well and add a little milk and water to moisten and stick the mixture together
- Roll into balls and press down until very thin with the back of a fork or alternatively roll out until thin, cut into rounds and prick all over with a fork
- Bake in an oven at 190C (380F) for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cool on a wire rack