I LOVED this recipe!
As someone who absolutely loved meat pies before I gave up meat years ago, this really was quite a carnivorous experience without the guilt!
I used the remaining of my ‘fake meat’ ration (which was Quorn mince and a Linda McCartney Sausage – all I have left now is a few rashers of fake bacon) to make this DELICIOUS savoury meat pie.
The pie crust was made from half flour and half mashed potato with just 1 oz of fat added. People often used mashed potato mixed with flour to save on their flour and their fat ration!
I ate 1/3 rd of this great big pie for my Sunday dinner and served it with sprouts, mushrooms and gravy.
Here’s the recipe!
Savoury Meat Pie
(from a book called ‘Favourite Ration Book Recipes’)
Using leftover cooked meat, this pie is made with a potato pastry, which reduces the amount of flour you use by half..
- Potato pastry (using 4 oz self-raising flour, 4 oz mashed potato and 1 oz fat)
- 1/2 lb of cooked meat (chopped)
- 1 onion or 1 leek (chopped)
- 1 small tin of peas or fresh peas
- 2 carrots (cooked and cubed)
- 1 large ripe tomato (chopped)
- Parsley or whatever herbs you like (chopped)
- Bisto to make thick gravy to bind
- 4 or 5 tablespoons of boiling water
- Salt and pepper to season.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 C/ 375 F/Gas 6.
- Make potato pastry by rubbing in 1 or 2 oz of fat into flour then mixing in the smooth mashed potato and binding together with some water. Chill somewhere cool.
- Fry onion or leek in a large pan, add the cooked meat, tomatoes and herbs and the rest of the veggies, add 4 or 5 tablespoons of water and heat through until cooked.
- Mix Bisto powder with a little hot water to make a thin paste and add to mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to season.
- Place thickened filling into a large pie dish.
- Roll out chilled pastry and cover making a hole in the top.
- Moisten the edges and crimp and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.