In preparation for dinner tonight I’ve made a ball of wheatmeal pastry from one of my favourite modern day wartime cookbooks “Feeding the Nation” and now I have to decide what to actually make with it… I just know I had a craving for pastry and I do have some left over “Lentil & Legume Gravy” so I may well make some potato pasties and fill them with a little of the leftover gravy.
- 8 oz (225 g) of plain wheatmeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz- 30z (50-75 g) of cooking fat, margarine or dripping (I used 50/50 vegan margarine and shortening)
- Blend the flour with the salt and the baking powder
- Chop up the fat into small pieces and rub into the flour until well distributed
- Add enough water to make a rolling consistency although a little softer than you would normally make with white flour
- Roll out and use.